Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer (#3)

New York City. The moon has been hit and knocked out of it's orbit. Tidal waves, tsunami's, destruction, death, and unseasonably cold temperatures. The third installment is from Alex's perspective (who isn't introduced until book two).  Alex is struggling to take care of his two sisters during this now life changing event. His mother and father are gone without a word. His older brother is somewhere with the Marines. Alex is trying to keep his family safe and alive as the world struggles to live with the aftermath of the moon's new orbit.

The first book, Life as We Knew it, was written in journal form from the perspective of Miranda. She's a teenager trying to deal with a new life. This third book takes place at the same time of the first book but from Alex's point of view. When I started this series, it honestly scared me to death. Made me wonder if something like this could really happen? Made me seriously want to start buying extra food at the grocery store each week just in case. I think it was scarier because it is a realistic story. We could live through an apocalyptic event and have to struggle. I would like to think that I'd be as strong as these characters, but I doubt I would.

This third installment is just as interesting (and scary) as the first. I've really enjoyed reading about how these characters somehow keep going through such terrible times.

No comments:

Post a Comment