Monday, January 24, 2011

Captivate by Carrie Jones (Need #2)

I love, love, love this book! With Need, it took me a while to get hooked. I was hooked from the first page. Captivate picked up where Need left off. In this installment, we see the development of Nick and Zara's relationship, which is super cute and loving. They work together with Devyn and Issie to try and solve the pixie problem. While her pixie king father is out of commission, two new kings show up to try and take over pixies and territory. Astley, the main king in this book, seems nice and trustworthy, without a bloodlust. The other king is completely evil.

In Captivate, there are several major changes: Nick dies (yes I was stunned), Valkyries and mythological Valhalla exist (cool), Zara turns pixie and becomes a queen, and Devyn and Issie are finally a couple. I was hoping to see more of Devyn and Issie as a couple versus just friends. They didn't really get together until the last five pages and then it was like, we're a couple, which was sort of a let down. But the idea of Zara now being a pixie queen is interesting. I like the addition of the new character Cassidy, who is half elf.

For me the funniest part of the book was all the references to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is one of my favorite shows. I love how Issie basically equates this pixie war to Buffy having to save the world from the apocolypse.

No comments:

Post a Comment