Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later by Francine Pascal

When I was in middle school (maybe even the beginning of high school) I loved the Sweet Valley High books. I loved the dynamics between good girl Elizabeth and her bad sister Jessica, who always seemed to get her way. Living in California, the books made these characters seem so glamorous. I eventually stopped reading this series because I pretty much outgrew them, so I never read after the Sweet Valley High series.

This books picks up when the twins are twenty-seven and Jessica has betrayed her sister by sleeping with Todd and falling in love with him and him with her. First off, I thought that little twist was just lame. Jessica falls in love with Elizabeth's boyfriend and she's a changed person? Elizabeth then runs off to NY? Okay whatever. I appreciate the author's attempt, but aging these characters, throwing in some curse words and adult content isn't really the way to approach a series that most people enjoyed while growing up. Seems like the author was trying TOO hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment